Your Neighborhood School in East Camden
McGraw is a K-5 elementary school in East Camden serving 340 students and their families.
We’re among the top ten schools in Camden for math proficiency (grades 3-8). When it comes to reading, Mastery K-2 students in Camden are surpassing reading growth expectations and students in grades 3-5 are growing faster than their peers nationally.
Elementary school at Mastery is just the starting point. We proudly offer academic excellence from crayons to cap and gown! Our students have the opportunity to automatically attend our East Camden Middle School, then Mastery High School of Camden, giving them a full K-12 Mastery experience.
At McGraw, we believe all of our students have greatness within. With love and high expectations, we support them in finding their own paths to success.
Stop by and visit us any time!
- Among the top ten schools in Camden for math proficiency
- K-2 students are surpassing reading growth expectations as measured by a national assessment (F&P)*
- Students in grades 3-5 are growing faster than their peers nationally in Reading (MAP)*
- Two teachers in K-2 Literacy classes
* across the Mastery Schools of Camden network
- Play in K & 1st helps students learn social-emotional skills like self-awareness, empathy and conflict resolution
- Art, physical education, recess and Spanish
- Weekly community meetings and Student Recognition Awards
We offer free aftercare until 6 p.m. and a a variety of after-school activities and clubs, including:
- Tutoring, Art Club, Board Games Club, Choir, Doubledutch Club, Girls Book Club, Homework Club, Monarch Dance, Robotics Club, Football
We also partner with several community groups to bring fun, unique opportunities to students.
- Settlement Music Group teaches students how to sing and play instruments
- Campbell’s Soup – 4th graders participate in their Cooking Matters program and 5th graders participate in their Career Ambassadors program
- Monthly events for families
- Muffins with Mom
- Donuts with Dad
- Father-Daughter Dance
- Student Achievement Banquets
- African American History Assembly
- Hispanic Heritage Festival
- Math Game Family Night
We also host activities and workshops to give parents tips and tricks to help their children with their schoolwork.
Life at McGrawView Gallery
Charmaine Giles, Acting School Leader
Charmaine Giles is proud to serve as principal of McGraw Elementary. As the founding assistant principal of instruction, she began her work in East Camden in 2015. Camden has become her home away from home, and she cherishes each and every moment she shares with McGraw students, families, staff, and the surrounding community.
Prior to working at McGraw, Mrs. Giles taught 6th and 5th grade English Language Arts at Mastery’s Smedley Campus in Frankford, Philadelphia.
She earned a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology & Educational Studies from Swarthmore College. Following her undergraduate education, she earned a Master’s of Science from the University of Pennsylvania in Elementary Education.
As an avid reader, Mrs. Giles has a passion for learning. When she was in the 4th grade, however, she had high hopes of being a chef. She entered the Follow a Leader Writing Contest and won the opportunity to shadow award-winning chef Georges Perrier. While her dreams of owning a restaurant are behind her, she brings her passion for cooking through different community partnerships with the NJ Food Bank, Campbell’s Soup and McGraw.
Darien Headen, Assistant Principal of Operations
Jim Sheward, Chair
In the News