Your Neighborhood School in Frankford
Welcome to Smedley Elementary, a neighborhood school in the Frankford community, serving over 800 students in grades K-6.
We have a lot to be proud of. We were recognized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education as a Title 1 Distinguished School for the 2019-20 school year! We also tied for the highest year-over-year academic growth as measured by the School District of Philadelphia’s School Progress Report (SPR 2018-19) and were named a Peer Leader for having the highest SPR scores among our peer schools.
As you can tell, we focus on academic excellence and we do it by making learning fun! From math to music, and reading to field trips, our students receive a well-rounded education from loving teachers and leaders.
Our five core values are respect, responsibility, hard work, teamwork and kindness.
Smedley students have the opportunity to automatically attend our Lenfest Campus, giving them the full K-12 Mastery experience.
Stop by and visit us any time!
- Students come to school excited to start their day, with their laptop in hand.
- The day starts with free breakfast.
- Students are greeted by their teacher and head to their classroom for morning meeting.
- We value reading. Students have at least 2-3 hours of reading where they work in small groups with the teacher.
- Students have classes in math, social studies, and science.
- Students head back to the cafeteria to enjoy free lunch.
- Afterwards, students enjoy free play or structured recess.
- Students engage in art, physical education, music or foreign language. We are proud to educate the whole child at Mastery.
- Once the school day is over, students may stay to participate in clubs or the aftercare program.
Smedley offers a variety of after school activities and clubs.
Some examples include:
- Academic Enrichment
- Art Club
- Boy Scouts
- Chess Club
- Creative Writing Club
- Drum Line
- Fit Club
- Girl Scouts
- Hip Hop Dance
- History Club
- Snider Youth Hockey
- Student Council
- Theater Club
- Young Ladies of Mastery
- Young Men of Mastery
Smedley Elementary serves students in the Frankford area who live in the school’s attendance zone within the 19124 zip code.
The school cannot enroll students living outside of its attendance zone, even if they reside within the listed 19124 zip code.
In the News
Two Mastery Charter Schools Designated a Title 1 Distinguished SchoolRead Article
Life at SmedleyView Gallery
Caitlin Murphy, Principal
Cait Murphy has served the principal of Smedley Elementary since 2015. She strives to ensure Smedley students receive a world-class education in a joyful and loving environment. Before taking on the role of principal, she served as an assistant principal at Smedley for five years and was a part of Smedley’s founding leadership team in 2010.
Prior to joining Mastery, Ms. Murphy worked for Teach for America supporting new teachers. She also taught special education and 1st grade in Houston, Texas. She earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from Johns Hopkins University and later earned a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership from The University of Pennsylvania.
Ms. Murphy is grateful to partner with such an incredible community of families, students, and staff to ensure Smedley is a joyful, structured community where everyone loves to grow and learn!
Danielle Nicoletti, Assistant Principal of Operations