The Mastery-Teaching Residency is the perfect opportunity for those who are looking for an innovative pathway into the teaching profession. We are seeking inspired and dynamic educators to join our team and provide a to top-quality education for all of our students. Mastery Schools is known as the destination of choice for high-performing education professionals and offers dynamic education systems in which emerging educators can learn and grow as they serve students and families.
The Residency offers aspiring educators, including recent college graduates and career changers, a unique opportunity to receive high-quality teacher training while gradually taking on more teaching responsibility. During this multi-year program, you spend your first year in a full-time support teaching position receiving mentorship and professional development from your school leaders, Graduate School Faculty Partners, and our central office-based coaches to help you become an effective teacher.
- Full-time salary and benefits (as a support teacher in the first year; if promoted, as a lead teacher in the second year);
- An opportunity to engage with expert teachers and best practices through extensive weekly training, real-time practice sessions, and actionable feedback in proven, highly-effective teaching techniques;
- A Pennsylvania or New Jersey Teaching Certificate (depending on placement state and successful completion of Praxis and Basic Skills tests)
- A Master’s Degree from one of our higher education partners
In exchange for Mastery’s financial assistance and teaching residency program opportunity, Mastery Schools expect Residency alumni to commit to teaching at Mastery schools for at least two years post the completion of the Resident’s academic programming.
- Provide small and whole group instruction to students for academic support
- Work with lead teachers to do the following:
– Implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
– Analyze student assessment data to measure progress and inform instruction
– Build relationships and maintain regular communication with families
– Collaborate to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards
– Other responsibilities as requested
- Attend practice sessions and an evening academic content class weekly
- Successfully complete PA/NJ teacher certification requirements and program academic coursework
- Have desire and commitment to teach and serve Mastery’s school communities for at least three years after the Residency
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement; Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (Please reach out to [email protected]if your undergraduate GPA is below a 3.0)
– If currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree conferred by June 2023
– Official copy of transcript is required for both applications to Relay Graduate School of Education and Urban Teacher of Philadelphia
– Must meet minimum eligibility requirements for PA/NJ teacher certification – for more about PA certification requirements go here; and for NJ certification requirements here
- Commitment to and experience (preferable) working with underserved communities
- A strong sense of professional responsibility; genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a student-centered, standards-driven classroom community
- Commitment to professional growth, self-reflection, receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve and effectively address challenges
Please submit a resume and your undergraduate transcript (official or unofficial) with your application. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified applicants will be invited to complete a video interview and/or phone interview. Finalists will be invited to a Selection Day at our central office and, if they advance, to conduct a demo lesson and interview at a Mastery campus. Reach out with any questions about the Residency application process to [email protected].
"I wanted to make sure that I was going to be prepared so I could be the best person that I could in order to create change for my students. When I found Urban Teachers, it was exactly the preparation program that I needed in order for me to move forward to the next step in my life. I jumped on it, and that's why I'm here."
Tia Randolph, 2022 Year 1 Resident, Urban Teachers Philadelphia, Gratz Campus
"The Relay Residency has been a monumental and impactful opportunity. As a prospective teacher, I was unprepared, inexperienced but hopeful I could make a difference. This two year program has gradually developed me into a skilled teacher. With hands-on deliberate practice and observations, I am exceeding every goal as a first year Mastery composition teacher. If you desire to make an impact on tomorrow's generation, the Mastery-Relay Residency Program should be a priority on your list."
Quira Parker, 2017 Year 2 Resident, Lead Teacher, Shoemaker Campus